Tuesday 14 April 2015

I am entitled to be me!

So, here I am, playing for the April Challenge at the Scraps N Pieces Challenge Blog.
The theme is "Be Me" and there is this lovely moodboard. Not only I really love the colors, but also the challenge instructed to use watercolors, mists...

 
What a great excuse for me to use my Faber Castel watercolor pencils. I just love it when I go over them with the brush and watch the transformation of the color coming to life!
A few days ago I finally got my hands on a book I wanted a long time ago, the Mixed Media Girls by the gifted and original (in my opinion) Suzi Blu. 


I practiced a little bit the technique she teaches through this book but I couldn't wait to actually make something with it.
The "Be Me" challenge with the inspiring moodboard and my most favorite colors in the palate (purple and teal), the opportunity to use my watercolor pencils and my mists, along with my impatience to make a whimsical girl resulted to this page.
So, I'll talk you through it:
1. Glued 2 pages together from each side and then applied a layer of Gesso
2. I used Dylusions Ink Sprays in Crushed Grape, Funky Fuchsia, Lemon Zest and Calypso Teal
3. I used my "hearts stencil" by Teresa Collins with purple, and teal by Claudine Hellmuth Studio and magenta by Winsor Newton
 



4. I played a bit more with flowery stencil by Teresa Collins again and some blackboard paint and modeling paste, to add some dark accents on the background and some texture.
5. I stamped a chandelier with some grayish acrylic randomly all over the pages. Then I added some white lines with Gesso and some dripping with the Dylusions.
At this point my background was done!

Time for my "whimsical" girl.
6. I used a 2B pencil and a standard photocopying paper to make the face. For coloring Suzi Blu uses prismacolor pencils, apparently these have beeswax and allow you to make these smooth smoky eyes. I dint have these kind of pencils, and I decided to try her technique using my water pencils instead. I used all the flesh tone colors. I played a lot around the eyes. My doll is not half as pretty but I think it's good enough for a first attempt. Actually I am pretty proud of it because it's not a copy, but my own design, using the principles described in the book with different equipment. I cut the face, glued it on my page using matt medium underneath and over it. Then I added more layers of colour. I tried to make it darker on the right, under the nose, the lips and the eyes. The eyes.... I have miles to go before I achieve this smoky look  
 
Oh, I had so  many back and forths with the eyes... My watercolour pencils was not ht ebest choise for the eye-lines and I had problems with the iris as well. It started in hazel, then made it a dark blue using acrylics and in the end I used the Silks Acrylic Glaze in Emperos Gold (the one I fell in love with and used on the sun on my Enjoy The Little Things page!)
7. Then I drew the rest of the body and the hair. For the hair I used a water colour pencil. For the body I used several things.
 
 
8. The top is a washi tape, kids quality, I bought it from Imaginarium last week when I bought an Easter present for my son (lol).
9. The skirt is a wide pink ribbon. Under the skirt I put some tulle that I painted purple using my acrylics and on top I put some constructors tape bought from the neighborhoods hardware store. Then I added some purple satin ribbon at the bottom and purple paper ribbon around the waste. On purpose I added many different and contradicting textures. At this point I felt like a fashion designer!  LOL
10. She is holding a banner made by purple thread, I painted 4 triangles in silver and wrote "TRUE" in purple Stickles. Again used matt medium to glue it but made sure the curl the corners, just to give it a bit of dimension.
11. I stamped the quote. I decided to use the exact quote provided on the moodboard. Again used matt medium and then I traced around the boarders with my purple Faber Castell Pitt Artist Pens and smudged it with my finger.
12. Finally, I created a frame around the page using silver pen, purple glitter and a black marker.
 
 
I think by now you know that Purple is my favorite color. It's true. I can't hide it. :-)
 
I guess, I am entitled to love the color purple!
 
At this point I thought that it would be cool to have written all the things that I like, all the things that I am  and believe in, but I would prefer these to be in the background, behind all the layers off water sprays, acrylic stencils, modeling paste etc. This would represent all the base, the foundation of the page.... Never mind. I log the thought here so that I won't forget and will do it in the future, once I have mastered my technique of making whimsical girls with smoky, tranquil and wise eyes.
 
Till next time..... remember to be you!
  
 





 

11 comments:

  1. Μια χαρά το βρίσκω το μάτι, και με αρκετή σοφία για πρώτη φορά ... αν έβλεπες το δικό μου πρώτο πρόσωπο ( ...δλδ 5-6 εχω κάνει ολα κι όλα) θα έβγαζες το συμπέρασμα οτι το κοριτσάκι μου μαλλον είχε δεί το τέρας της αποκαλύψεως, ΤΟΣΟ έκπληκτο βλέμμα είχε, χαχαχαχα!! Τεσπα, πίσω στη δημιουργία σου....
    Κατ αρχας μου αρεσει παρα πολυ που δοκιμάζεις νέα πράγματα και που το κάνεις με κέφι, πράγμα που φαίνεται στο αποτελεσμά σου και στο πλήθος των υλικών που χρησιμοποιείς. Τα υδατοδιαλυτα σου μολύβια δε έχουν δουλευτεί τόσο καλά που μετα βίας τα λες μολύβια, πάρα πολύ καλή δουλειά !!! Ολα στη σελίδα σου είναι πολύ προσεγμένα και καλοβαλμένα, ενα μεγάλο μπράβο απο μένα για το σύνολο της δημιουργίας σου !! Χαιρομαι πολύ που έπαιξες μαζί μας και αυτό το μήνα !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Σε ευχαριστώ πολύ για το feedback Helen! Και πολύ χαίρομαι που έχεις πειραματιστεί και εσύ με τα κοριτσάκια της Blu! Ακολούθησες την τεχνική της? (prisma colour pencils και beeswax) ή δοκίμασες κάτι άλλο; Εγώ λέω να εξαντλήσω πρώτα τα υλικά που εχω και βλέπουμε.. Τώρα περνάω πρώτα την σελίδα με matt medium και μετά ζωγραφίζω. Αυτό βοηθάει να μπορω να δουλέψω τα χρώματα με το δάκτυλο . Δεν εχω ολοκληρώσει κάτι ακόμα, πειραματίζομαι, αλλά αν φτιάξω τίποτα αξιόλογο, θα το μοιραστώ :-)
      Σε ευχαριστώ και πάλι που ήρθες!

      Delete
    2. Οχι , δυστυχώς δεν εχω πειραματιστεί στα κορίτσια της Suzi Blu :-( ( ....εντάξει, είναι υπέροχη η δουλειά της ) , η δική μου απλοϊκή απόπειρα γίνεται με βάση διάφορα βίντεο tutorials σχετικά με το πως να ζωγραφίσεις ένα πρόσωπο και κυρίως χρησιμοποιώ μολύβι και λαδοπαστελ... αλλά πρέπει να σου δείξω το πρώτο που έφτιαξα, θα γέλαγες πολύ !! Χαχαχαχα, σκέτη κωμωδία !!! Καλή συνέχεια και εννοείται οτι καλά κάνεις και χρησιμοποιείς τα υλικά που έχεις, ο πειραματισμός άλλωστε οδηγει σε καινοτομίες ;-)

      Delete
    3. Ειμαι σίγουρη ότι το κοριτσάκι σου δεν είναι τοσο χάλια όσο λες! Εχω δει δείγματα πό την υπέροχη δουλεια σου!! :p

      Delete
  2. πραγματικά δεν βλέπω αυτό που λες στο ματι...βέβαια είμαι η πλέον άσχετη με όλα αυτά (χιχι!)...εγώ τα κοιτάω σαν σελίδα, σαν ζωγραφιά, σαν σύνολο, εαν μου αρέσει η όχι...εαν θα ήθελα να την κοιτάω, ακόμα και να την έχω σε κάποιο σημείο του σπιτιού μου...η δικιά σου σελίδα λοιπόν μου αρέσει πολύ! Μου αρέσει πολύ το κοριτσάκι σου, τα χρώματα που διάλεξες, το πως 'έστησες' την σελίδα σου...Μπράβο σου και ευχαριστούμε που έπαιξες και πάλι μαζί μας!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Εγώ ευχαριστώ για τα καλά σου λόγια και για την ευκαιρία να παίξω!! :-)

      Delete
  3. Να συμφωνήσω με τις φιλενάδες από πάνω!!!!Το σύνολο είναι πολύ ωραίο κι εγω το βρίσκω το κοριτσάκι σου υπέροχο και χαίρομαι πολύ!!!!Γιατι τα δικά μου κοριτσάκια θέλουν πολλη δουλίτσα ακόμα.. χεχε....Συνέχισε αυτό που κάνεις γιατι τα πας πολύ καλα!!!! Σ ευχαριστούμε που έπαιξες και πάλι μαζί μας!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Όπως είπα και στην Αλίκη εγώ σας ευχαριστώ για την ευκαιρία και για τον χρόνο σας που μου αφήνετε σχόλια... δεν περίμενα να μπει κανεις στον κόπο όχι μόνο να δίαβάσει αυτά που γράφω αλλά και να μου αφήσει σχόλιο. :-) να είσαστε καλά!!

      Delete
  4. Suzi Blu η αγαπημένη μου!!!!! Μπορεί να είναι τρελή αλλά ωραία τρελή! Κι εγώ έχω φάει ώρες και ώρες με τα μαθήματά της! Τα πας τέλεια, η σελίδα είναι πολύ όμορφη, προχώρα, το 'χεις κούκλα!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Σε ευχαριστώ Amy!!! Εχω φτιάξει τόσα κοριτσάκια αυτές τις μερές (μόνο κεφάλι)!!! Στο λεωφορείο, στην αιθουσα αναμονής στο γιατρό, στο αυτοκίνητο όταν πάμε μακρια χαχαχαχα θα με παρουν για τρελή! Μόνο με μολύβι και από εβδομάδα θα αρχίσω τους πειραματισμούς με το χρωματισμό. Αν καταφερω τίποτα αξιόλογο θα το μοιραστώ. Εσύ έχεις prismacolours? Ρωτάω για να πάρω καμιά γνώμη για το αν αξίζει να πάρω αλλά προσπαθώ να το αποφύγω, έχω ήδη δώσει αρκετά για Polychromos (faber castel)

      Delete
  5. Υπέροχο, μου αρέσει τρελά!!! Ευχαριστούμε για την συμμετοχή σου στο SnP!

    ReplyDelete